Artificial sweeteners are usually added to protein powders to make them taste better and enhance texture.
However, numerous studies have shown that artificial sweeteners may promote weight gain, various types of cancer and even brain tumors.
While scientists are still divided on the issue, it’s best to keep yourself safe by ditching artificial sugar.
That’s why in this article, I’ll be showing you the 7 best protein powders without artificial sweeteners!
Table of Contents
- Why You Should Ditch Artificial Sweeteners?
- Top 7 Best Protein Powders Without Artificial Sweeteners
- 1. TGS 100% Whey Protein Powder
- 2. Isopure Unflavored Whey Isolate Protein Powder
- 3. Transparent Labs Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate
- 4. PlantFusion Complete Vegan Protein Powder
- 5. Opportuniteas Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
- 6. Garden of Life SPORT Whey Protein Powder Vanilla
- 7. Orgain Organic Vegan Protein Powder
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Are there any vegan or vegetarian options for protein powder without artificial sweeteners?
- Are protein powders without artificial sweeteners better than stevia?
- Do all protein powders have sugar?
- What is the healthiest protein powder?
- Is it okay to use protein powder without artificial sweeteners every day?
Why You Should Ditch Artificial Sweeteners?
Before I leave a detailed review on each and every product named, let’s first explore some of the reasons to leave artificial sweeteners behind.
First of all, in most protein powders I’ve tried, they are included in such high amounts, that it completely overwhelms you and worst of all, it leaves a strong tang behind.
While artificial sweeteners are promoted as a sugar substitute, in some people, they may even enhance sugar cravings which leads to a double whammy; you end up consuming both.
Last but not least, artificial sweeteners have numerous health hazards, besides the ones I mentioned at the beginning, such as digestive issues, cardiovascular health and metabolic disorders.
All in all, it’s in your best interest to follow this guide and choose a protein powder that doesn’t include artificial sweeteners!
Top 7 Best Protein Powders Without Artificial Sweeteners
Now that we have a better understanding of the numerous hazards of artificial sweeteners, we can have a look at some of the best alternatives on the market.
The list goes as follows:
- TGS 100% Whey Protein Powder
- Isopure Unflavored Whey Isolate Protein Powder
- Transparent Labs Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate
- PlantFusion Complete Vegan Protein Powder
- Opportuniteas Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
- Garden of Life SPORT Whey Protein Powder Vanilla
- Orgain Organic Vegan Protein Powder
1. TGS 100% Whey Protein Powder
Kicking off this list is one of my favorite protein powders without artificial sweeteners. It’s made and packaged in the US, keto friendly, includes simple ingredients which won’t cause an upset stomach or any other issues.
Best of all, it’s without soy, gluten or GMO’s, which are known allergens, so you don’t have to worry about that as well.
It’s packed with amino-acids essential for the body and muscle enhancement, so you can’t go wrong by choosing this protein powder!
Lastly, it’s great for cutting as it brings forth a feeling of satiety in the brain.
- Suitable for vegetarians
- No aftertaste
- Fair pricing
- Low in carbohydrates
- Doesn’t clump in the shaker
- Not vegan friendly
2. Isopure Unflavored Whey Isolate Protein Powder
No list would be complete without adding at least one Isopure product in it. Isopure is one of the most popular and trustworthy companies on the list. They have been in the supplement game for a long time and are one of my top choices when it comes to protein powders without artificial sweeteners.
This protein powder has zero carbs, includes a whopping 25g of pure protein per serving and it also is keto friendly, which many bodybuilders find important, including myself.
- Great for cutting, only 100 calories per serving
- Added vitamins and minerals for health and muscle enhancement
- No lactose, gluten, fat or any other fillers
- No bad aftertaste
- Includes soy, which some may be allergic to
3. Transparent Labs Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate
In third place, I have prepared something truly special for you!
Did you know that most protein powders are made in huge production facilities where the cows don’t have any space to move?
That’s not the case with the protein powder from Transparent Labs, as they feature grass-fed cows from local US farmers.
With 28 grams of protein per serving, you’re sure to get the best bang for your buck by opting with Transparent Labs.
Important to note is that it doesn’t contain any fat and is gluten and GMO-free.
Here’s the kicker, it also contains nine essential amino-acids which will help boost your muscle mass and get the most out of your workouts.
- Great bioavailability and stability
- All natural ingredients
- Supports health and longevity
- Great for bulking and building lean mass
- High price point
- No vitamins or minerals
4. PlantFusion Complete Vegan Protein Powder
Finally, a vegan-friendly option! There are not many on the market, but PlantFusion has been known to feature some of the best vegan-friendly protein powders in the game.
As expected, it’s keto compatible, gluten-free, non-GMO and without dairy.
No gas or bloating due to added digestive enzymes that help with absorption and protect your gut health.
The great thing about PlantFusion is that it has been in the protein powder world for over a decade and is one of the pioneers of plant-based protein powders without artificial sweeteners.
Last but not least, all of their products, including this one, are labeled under GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) and their products are tested by independent, third-party laboratories.
- 5 plant-based amino-acids
- Great taste
- No fillers
- Great for energy levels
- Doesn’t chalk in the mixer
- Only 21 grams of protein per serving
- Some people don’t like the added flavor option
5. Opportuniteas Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
Opportuniteas is a premium brand of protein powders and other similar products Although it is labeled as a small business, it’s making a real impact in the protein powder world.
The first thing to note about this protein powder without artificial sweeteners is its taste. I never tried a protein powder that tasted as good as this one, I literally felt like drinking chocolate milk. The cacao used for the chocolate taste is high-quality, extra-rich and organic.
Best of all, this protein powder is easy to digest and doesn’t cause bloating or gas. This is especially important if you have a sensitive gut.
Last thing to mention is that this protein powder is gluten-free, non-GMO, keto compatible and without fillers!
- The tastiest protein powder I tried
- Made from grass-fed cows sourced from local farmers
- Absolutely no artificial ingredients
- Great for hunger pangs, perfect for cutting or maintaining
- Only 20 grams of pure protein per serving
6. Garden of Life SPORT Whey Protein Powder Vanilla
Garden of Life makes very interesting protein powders, as they add a lot of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids), probiotics and glutamine to their products.
This is important because it aids recovery time after a workout, helps with muscle recovery and lastly, enhances lean muscle mass and is good for your immune system.
Not just that, but this company also cares about the environment, by only using produce from grass-fed cows sourced exclusively from the US.
Garden of Life is very transparent about what goes into its protein powders and they list the exact amounts in grams, which is an added bonus.
Their protein powder is non-GMO, without artificial sweeteners (that’s a given!) and doesn’t include any unnecessary fillers.
- Great for both amateur and professional athletes
- The cows used by this company are not pumped with hormones
- Versatile, can be used for both cutting and bulking
- No soy or other allergens
- 24 grams of pure protein
- Some people don’t like the vanilla flavor
- Pricey compared to some other options on the market
7. Orgain Organic Vegan Protein Powder
Orgain is known for their high-quality protein powders and strict standards when it comes to production.
They have been certified by USDA organic, which means their products are both packaged and manufactured with the utmost care.
This protein powder without artificial sweetener is kosher, vegan-friendly, doesn’t include GMO and is gluten, dairy and lactose free.
No additional sugars or sweeteners are a given, but what sets this product apart from all the others is its creamy texture and delicious taste.
One package contains 20 servings and a serving contains 21 grams of high-quality, pure plant-based protein.
Definitely one of the top choices if you’re a vegan bodybuilder or athlete!
- A variety of flavors available
- Good price point compared to other vegan options
- No clumps in shaker, mixes well with other ingredients
- Low-calorie, perfect for cutting
- Only 21 grams of pure protein
- Includes fats and carbs
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Are there any vegan or vegetarian options for protein powder without artificial sweeteners?
Of course! There are numerous plant-based options for both vegans and vegetarians alike.
Are protein powders without artificial sweeteners better than stevia?
The answer is a clear yes! Artificial sweeteners have many side effects to them, including gas, bloating and the possibility of metabolic disorders and cardiovascular issues.
Do all protein powders have sugar?
No, they don’t. Consumers are becoming more health-aware and demand sugar-free options. You can browse some of them above!
What is the healthiest protein powder?
The healthiest options are those that are GMO-free, without artificial sweeteners and allergens.
Is it okay to use protein powder without artificial sweeteners every day?
Of course! You can use them either pre or post workout or throughout the day for an energy boost. There are no long-term side effects of daily protein powder supplementation.