However, not all supplements are created equal and you should consider your needs before investing in stuff you don’t really need to be healthy. For example, while it’s easy to get enough calcium with a balanced diet, many Americans could benefit from taking more Vitamin C.
Vitamin C can be found in a wide range of foods, but it can be tough to get your recommended daily intake through diet alone, which is why we recommend using supplements. The benefits of Vitamin C are too big to ignore, though many people don’t understand how much this wonder chemical can do:
Vitamin C is an essential vitamin, meaning that your body cannot produce it, so you need to order that stuff in from external sources like food and drink. Although it’s found in a wide variety of common foods – from oranges to humble broccoli – vitamin C has been linked to some impressive health benefits.
The recommended daily intake of vitamin C is 75mg for women and 90mg for men, so you can easily get your daily requirements with all of the supplements on this list. This humble, water-soluble chemical has a wide variety of benefits, including:
While you CAN find vitamin C in a variety of fruit and veg, who has the time to down a pint of orange juice to get their daily vitamin hit? Convenient Vitamin C Supplements are available from a wide variety of retailers in the USA, so we’ve ranked what we think are the top ten on the market to help you find the supplement that’s right for you:
Unlike energy drinks, vitamin C supplements don’t differ much between brands, as the effective ingredient is the same and there are only so many ways you can make a fizzy pill. There’s not a whole lot of difference between Berocca and Walgreens, so focus on the things that matter to you like value for money, flavour and unique features.
Just like when it comes to kids, we won’t say which brand of vitamin c supplements is our real favourite, but we can recommend some for different situations:
Ideal for Winter: Strepsils
Orange-flavoured Strepsils with vitamin c provide soothing action and relief from a sore throat as well as 100mg of vitamin c in each lozenge. Cure your cough and boost your immune system with a couple of Strepsils and you’ll be carolling in no time!
Ideal for Busy Lifestyles: Redoxon
Available in pills, effervescent tablets and gummies, the Redoxon range
delivers a range of vitamins and minerals to keep you healthy, whichever way you prefer to take your supplements.
Ideal for Kids and Sweet-Lovers: TLC’s Chewy Vites
Chewy Vite’s vitamin C supplements are tasty, vegan and contain 80mg of vitamin c in every gummy, so you can enjoy a sweet treat whilst getting the vitamins you need! Also, your kids won’t suspect how healthy these gummy treats are when you hand them out next sweet time.
But maybe you’re not strongly brand loyal and you’re just looking for the best vitamin c supplements on the market, whoever produces them… Whatever you need in a vitamin supplement, our top 10 list has you covered – read on to hear our rankings:
1. Thorne’s Vitamin C with Flavonoids Flavonoids are naturally occurring compounds with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, so why wouldn’t you want some added goodness in your vitamin C tablets? Each of these tablets contains 500mg of vitamin C and 75mg of citrus-derived flavonoids so you can enjoy the natural benefits of these compounds in one handy package.
2. Integrative Therapeutics’ Buffered Vitamin C For people with sensitive stomachs, taking large doses of vitamin c can give you the rumbles (it is called ascorbic ACID, after all). But don’t despair, as Integrative Therapeutic’s buffered supplements contain minerals to improve digestive tolerance and help you make the most of their vitamin C supplements without the stomach-ache.
3. Kirkland Signature’s Vitamin C As a Costco subsidiary, Kirkland Signature is renowned for making no-nonsense products at sensible prices, such as these affordable vitamin C tablets. Each capsule contains a hefty 1000mg dose of vitamin C with citrus-derived flavonoids for added antioxidant effects at a lower price – that’s the Costco way!
4. NOW Foods’ Chewable C 500 If swallowing pills to get your recommended vitamin intake just sounds like a chore and you’re ‘too old for gummies’ then these chewable vitamin C supplements are for you. These vegan chewable tablets contain 500mg of vitamin C per tablet with only 1 gram of added sugar, making them healthier than the other gummies listed.
5. Nordic Naturals’ Vitamin C Gummies Made with high quality, natural ingredients like cane sugar, vegetables and fruit juice, Nordic Natural’s gummies are a tasty way to get your recommended vitamin C dosage. There’s a decent dose of 125mg in each gummy, so it’s easy to get the vitamins you need in a fun way.
6. Carlson Labs’ Kid’s Vitamin C Gummies Aimed at children, these orange-flavoured vitamin C gummies are tasty, free of artificial ingredients and contain 125mg in each gummy. When vitamins taste this good, we won’t blame you for buying these yourself to combine a sweet treat with good nutrition.
7. Pure Encapsulations’ Liposomal Vitamin C Liquid Unlike the other vitamin C supplements on this list, Pure Encapsulations liquid vitamin C is made with a liposomal form of vitamin C. If you don’t know what “liposomal” means, don’t worry – it’s just a super smart way of bonding vitamin C to sunflower oil so your body can make the most of this vitamin goodness even quicker!
8. Garden of Life’s Organic Vitamin C Spray Made entirely from organic ingredients like tangerine, Garden of Life’s vitamin C spray contains 12 mg of vitamin c in each spray, making it less intense but more natural than other vitamin c supplements. Just spritz your way to recommended vitamin C intake with Garden of Life’s organic spray and pretend you’re freshening your breath for extra fun.
9. Best Naturals 100% Pure Vitamin C Powder It doesn’t get stronger than Best Naturals highly concentrated, 100% pure vitamin C powder – designed to dissolve easily into liquids, it’s super easy to get your daily dose or more. With the insanely high dosage of 2250mg per scoop, Best Naturals have got your vitamin C needs covered like zest on an orange!
10. Doctor’s Best Vitamin C Powder Pure, powdered vitamin C with no added sugar, fillers or preservatives that does what it says on the tin. Each serving contains 1000mg of no-nonsense vitamin C, so you can tone it down or get VITAMIN C TO THE MAX any way you like.
We hope this list helps you find the perfect vitamin C supplements for your needs, but we won’t be offended if you choose something else… Whether you’re dealing with a nasty cold season or just want to improve your health, boosting your Vitamin C levels has a wide variety of benefits.
There are plenty of benefits from getting a good amount of vitamin C in your diet, and it’s easier than ever to get more of the good stuff thanks to all these great vitamin C supplements! We’d love to hear your opinions on what you look for in your supplements and how you’re looking to add more vitamins to your routine, so why not comment below?